From:
Kate Desulis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jul 1997 10:57:35 +0000
 On 8 Jul 1997 13:09:53 GMT, [log in to unmask] (JHaeseler) wrote:

>Does anyone know of museums which have switched from free admission to
>paid admission?  Changeovers which occurred more than a year ago are
>preferred, since I am interested in the impact on attendance which may
>have resulted.

Perhaps these were already mentioned, but the Museum of Science and
Industry in Chicago went from free admission to a charge a few years
ago.  I've seen a paper entitled "Instituting An Admission Fee at The
Museum of Science and Industry", presented by David Hennage at an
AAM seminar in St. Louis in 1992.  It explains how the process worked
and what happened immediately afterward.

Also, the Adler Planetarium & Astronomy Museum in Chicago went from
charging only a fee for the sky show to charging an admission fee
(including free sky shows) to charging an admission fee and a
separate sky show fee.  This happened over the course of the past 5
years.  They might be of assistance to you as well.

Best of luck on your project.
Kate Desulis
The Morton Arboretum
Lisle, IL 60532