From:
Tim McShane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Jan 1999 11:17:32 -0500
     Hi Paul.  I completed a thesis on a similar topic last year; I found
     the book "Curatorship--Indigenous Perspectives in Post-Colonial
     Societies" (available at the Canadian Musuem of Civilization's
     CyberBoutique at
     http://cyberboutique.civilisations.ca/Boutique/english/publications/bo
     oksrch2.htm) particularly useful, drawing not only on Canadian
     experiences but on Australian and New Zealand as well.  There was also
     the 1992 "Task Force Report on Museums and First Peoples" (I think
     this was a collaboration of the Canadian Museum Association and the
     Assembly of First Nations in Canada, with input from museum
     professionals across Canada).  This is a very good report on the
     topic, but it may be difficult to find--does anyone else on the list
     know where to obtain a copy of this report?

     Some other articles you might be interested in are;

     "White Australia has a Black History" from the National Library of
     Australia (http://www.nla.gov.au/nla/staffpaper/thomp.html)

        Some of the links Western Australia's Aboriginal Affairs Department
        have on their web page
        (http://www.nla.gov.au/nla/staffpaper/thomp.html)

        And the most comprehensive list of world-wide Aboriginal links I've
        seen at Bill's Aboriginal Links
        (http://www.bloorstreet.com/300block/aborl.htm)

        Hope this helps!

Tim McShane
Curatorial Assistant, Parks Canada
(also, Co-Chair of the Museum Division, Arrow 2000 Project)

Views and opinions expressed are entirely my own, and do not necessarily
reflect those of Parks Canada or the Arrow 2000 Project Association