Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 1998 17:18:56 -0400
This is in reply to the following message: (please forgive me for not
being able to thread it properly)

>In article <[log in to unmask]>,
>  "Charlotte Robinson" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  I'm tossing around the idea of starting a local music museum and I
>  was wondering if anyone can offer any advice on where to find
>  prospective backers or partners, or any general advice.

I, too, have been considering the idea of starting a very small
children's "hand-on" type of discovery center, aimed specifically at
inventions and how things work.  My first decision has been non-profit
or for-profit.  While non-profit is the usual choice for such ventures
(support, funding, tax exemptions, etc) after reading some specifics, I
became quite discouraged: http://www.ptialaska.net/~jdewitt/vlh/
What was especially worrisome, if I recall properly:  If certain reports
are not filed on time, non-profit status can be threatened or lost. If a
lawsuit is filed and unable to be delivered (due to change of address of
director or someone) after 3 weeks the lawsuit is automatically won by
the other party.  Of course, each member of the board and trustees has
many legal liabilities.  Also, if a paid employee voluntarily decides to
work a few extra hours, unpaid, they can legally sue later for
compensation.  These and other legal items may be common knowledge to
the majority of you, as museum professionals. (If inaccurate, please
correct me).  But I am simply someone who has developed a love of
science and a wish to share that with children.  As I have a tendency to
misplace papers, I would not want to drag others down with me in legal
problems.
I have read about many museums that started simply as a group of
interested volunteers banding together. A non-profit organization must
then decide on a board of directors and trustees. I suppose I am
hesitant to do this because I feel that it will then develop in
directions other than what I have in mind, possibly even in another
direction from my own ideas.
I want to keep it small and simple. Therefore, I have been considering
for-profit, simply to avoid the complexities of establishing a
non-profit. But no matter how small, it will still require substantial
funds and enormous time. I am currently studying the feasibility of this
idea by developing a business plan, using very good suggestions from:
http://www.liraz.com/small-business/starting.htm
Another excellent site for museum organizations and developing exhibits
is:   http://www.astc.org/     They deal with science and technology
centers, but have many books available on where to begin, displaying
items properly, etc.
I believe the ideal solution might be to locate a partner with the same
enthusiasm and general ideas of what the museum will be.  Not an easy
task!
Any additional insight or sources of information from those of you that
have started such projects would be appreciated!
            T.M.Faro