From:
Robin Le Van <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:06:49 -0600
Hi. This is my first entry onto museum-L.
My name is Robin Le Van and I manage a series of museum charettes focusing
on small museum issues for the Missouri Humanities Council. These are
on-site, one day and a half workshops involving brainstorming with museum
consultants around a single challenge of that institution. As we all know,
the issues of small museums are, in fact, the issues of every museum.
Collections management, acquisitions policies, ADA requirements, engaging
the visitor, telling an interesting story...these are the challenges of
museums large and small. The distinction is that small museums do not have
access to expert council.
To participate in our program, which is free of charge, we look for small
museums in rural areas, with budgets under $100,000 and at least one paid
staff member. Most sites are
primarily volunteer managed and have little or no experience with museum
best practices.
Our primary challenge has been to engage consultants willing to a) travel to
remote locations b) accept the tiny stipend we are offering. I welcome any
suggestions on how to best approach this problem.
Thank you.
Robin Le Van
Director of Development
Missouri Humanities Council