From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 07:24:38 -0700
Jennifer,

Your colleague has done the correct thing for now. The general rule
for archaeological recovered artifacts is that if it is wet, keep it
wet; if it is damp, keep it damp; and if it is dry, keep it dry.

Tell her that the salt water can be exchanged for regular tap water
(this will begin to desalinate the artifact) and to monitor this
closely for any biolgoical activity (mold and mildew, etc.) and to
change out the water once a week.

If you simply take this wheel out of the water and let it dry out it
may indeed warp and crumble.

The conservation of such artifacts usually invovles a long process of
soaking in changes of clean water to draw the soluable salts out of
the artifact. Then, depending on the condition of the wood, it may
require a long soak with a chemical treatment in water using a
specific molecular weight of PEG (polyethylene glycol) that will
penetrate the wood and bulk up its structure so  as to minimize
changes during drying. Drying is accomplished often using freeze
drying after consolidation - but that again depends on the condition
of the artifact.

She needs to consult an archaeological conservator with experience
with waterlogged wooden artifacts.

Write me back off the list and let me know where you are located and I
will send you the AIC listings for your region.

Cheers!
Dave