From:
Raelyn Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 21:38:06 +0900
Anyone need something to do with their free time?

I was recently in Thailand, up near Chiang Rai, and when I was talking to the gu
y who was guiding us he asked me to do him a favor.  It seems he is from the Lah
u (sp?) tribe, originally from Burma (Myanmar, whichever - although the tribe cl
aims a further history back into China originally), and his father had written a
 book about the history of their people and the language they spoke back in the
1930's (or so).  His father had worked with, and himself become, a Christian mis
sionary in the village (the father was also reportedly a "chief").  This mission
ary took the book with him when he went back to the U.S. after a few years.  He
then gave it to "the biggest museum in the U.S."

Anyway, this guy wants to see about tracking down the book and requesting a copy
.  Evidently the language is changing, and the history is being forgotten, etc.
, and since this book is already out there somewhere with the REAL history he wo
uld like to get a copy - someone is trying to write a new book now, and they hav
e it all wrong, evidently.

The author's name was Davit Taw (not my spelling) and the place (I think it's th
e place, my notes aren't clear) would have been Keing Tung, Burma (also not my s
pelling).

It's not my story, so if it's lacking in convincing detail, I'm sure it is my fa
ult.  Any suggestions?  Bear in mind that I can't call around conveniently from
Tokyo, so as I said, if you have some free time...

Tim Campbell
Visiting Researcher
The University Museum
The University of Tokyo