From:
Hank Burchard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Nov 1994 12:25:02 -0500
On Sun, 6 Nov 1994, Paul Apodaca. wrote:

> Sorry for the length of this posting. This came across on Native-L and I
> thought it might of interest to Doug Greenberg and those who might be
> following this thread. It is offered only as an interesting appendix to our
> discussion as it demonstrates another view of history.

>       A Vital Turn of Events:
>

>  The Little-Known Role of the Oneidas in the Birth of the United States
>

> It's a saga which turned the tide of the Revolutionary War. It's the story of
> a simple act which became a profound event and turned the tide towards
victory
> for the American Colonial Army. It's a truth integral to the formation of the
> United States and the success of the general who would become the country's
> first president. Yet, the story of "Polly Cooper," and the  Oneida Indians
> rescue of starving troops at Valley Forge, Pa., is not recorded in the
history
> books.. . . . .

     The story of Oneida Polly Cooper and her tribe's succoring of the
soldiers at Valley Forge is touching, but if even only a small part of it
is true, I cannot believe it's "not recorded in the history books."
     Such a tale is a natural for the many chroniclers of the minutiae of
the Revolution, and at least the bare facts of the arrival of Indians
bearing corn would certainly have been logged in minute books and camp
diaries.
    If Martha Washington took Polly on a shopping tour of Philadelphia,
we can be sure it made all the papers.
    Surely one of the historians in this newsgroup can comment with
authority?

Hank Burchard * Weekend Section * The Washington Post
1150 15th Street NW * Washington DC USA 20071-0001
VoiceMail (202) 334-7243 * Email: [log in to unmask]