From:
"Robert O. Dahl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Jul 1994 18:47:26 -0700
About ten years ago, The Provincial Museum in Victoria, B.C. opened an
exhibit called "Oceans", which had a storyline element very similar to what
is done in some theme parks. The storyline was introduced on Video while
the visitors are waiting in line to go through the exhibit in small groups.
As I recall, you rode in a couple of submarines and entered darkened areas
where you watched as the story of the cycle of life in the oceans was
presented.
This exhibit has been criticized for being too Disneyesque, but I think it
was an interesting experiment at utilizing theme park technology to catch
peoples interest on a more serious topic: conservation of the worlds
oceans.

Has anyone seen this exhibit? What did you think of it? Would you try to do
such a thing at your institution?

R.O. Dahl

May the great worm of enlightenment prosper in the compost pit of your mind.

Robert O. Dahl
Museum Consultant                                       Ph:(602) 797-4752
Interpretive Planning and Design                        Fax: same
8421 N. Via Tioga                                       AOL:[log in to unmask]
Tucson, AZ 85704
internetaddress:[log in to unmask]