From:
Joy Davis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 09:21:20 +0000
For all of you who enquired about the following course being offered through the
Cultural Resource Management Program at the University of Victoria, please note
that today is the deadline for applications. We have a few spaces remaining, and
encourage you to let us know if you plan to participate!

THE DYNAMIC MUSEUM: ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE AND CHANGE
 Changes in social, political, and economic environments are forcing
 changes in the ways in which museums and heritage agencies are
 organized and managed. This intensive course explores museums as
 dynamic organizations-how they work, and how you can work effectively
 within them. As we explore the application of organizational theory
 and research in the museum setting, you will gain new perspectives and
 skills to effect change in your workplace. Your experience and
 concerns provide a focus for class and group work on the following
 topics:

 *   organizational theory vs. museum reality
 *   organizational structures, processes, and outcomes
 *   relationships between organization and environment
 *   the behaviour of individuals and groups within the organization
 *   leadership and decision making
 *   balancing competing values and functions
 *   managing people; managing change

 Instructor: Candace Tangorra Matelic is the newly appointed Executive
 Director of Historic St. Mary's City, Maryland; she has served as
 Director and Professor with the Cooperstown Graduate Program and has
 extensive teaching and museum management experience

 Dates: July 7-12, 1997, 9am - 4 pm, , plus a preparatory off-campus module

 Please register by: June 13

 Fee: $589 (credit or non-credit, Canadian funds)

Draft Course Outline ************************************

Monday, July 7 --       Establishing Our Course Focus; The Competing Values Framework
-Introductions, overview of the course, expectations/evaluation strategy
-Presentation of case study, organizational change issues and concerns by
participants, group summary of common issues and concerns
-Doing that thing you doi, or why organizations function the way they do;
organizational structures, processes, management approaches
-Effective for who?  The Competing Values Framework of Organizational
-Effectiveness, and organizations as open systems
Informal gathering at University Graduate Student Lounge (tentative)

Tuesday, July 8 --      Does Leadership Matter in Organizations?
-Over 10,000 studies on leadership, and what do we know?  Overview of leadership
research:  traits, behaviours, situations
-Fad or future direction?  Participatory, charismatic and transformational leadership
-Analyzing our own assumptions and leadership approaches (participatory
activities)
-Competing values framework for leadership at all levels

Wednesday, July 9       -- Behaviour of Individuals and Groups in Museums and Other
Organizations
Can people be managed?  Understanding why:  the role of motivation
-Are satisfied museum workers more productive?  job attitudes, job design, job
enrichment, quality of work life
-Understanding how groups work:  group dynamics workshop
-Group dynamics, continued; decision-making

Thursday, July 10 --    Organizational Change and Development
-What we know about organizational change, and what we don't know
-Managing change and dealing with resistance to change
-The bigger picture:  organizational development
-Team-building and other useful interventions

Friday, July 11 Implementing Transformational Change:  Case Studies by Guest
Speakers
-Guest speakers have not been confirmed at this point, but will include museum
managers who have actively engaged in change activities; they will reflect on both
the process and results.

Saturday, July 12       Applying the Theory and Research to Real Life Situations
-Review of course work, answering questions, other issues and concerns
-Time to work on individual presentations; individual consultations
-Participant presentations
-Wrap-up, course evaluation

Travel: Victoria is easily accessible by air or ferry from both
 Vancouver and Seattle

 Accommodation: Bed and breakfast accommodation is available
 on-campus at $61.00/night Canadian funds, plus tax, or in
 residence at $38/night plus tax (discount available for stays longer
 than 14 days). Contact Housing Services at (250) 721-8395. Program
 staff are pleased to provide information on alternative off-campus
 accommodations.

 For more information, please contact:

Joy Davis, Program Director
Cultural Resource Management Program
University of Victoria
Phone 250-721-8462
FAX 250-721-8774
email  [log in to unmask]

For detailed Program information, please visit our Web Site at
http://www.uvcs.uvic.ca/crmp/