From:
Aino Tolme <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Aug 2010 09:25:55 -0700
Hello Kat,

The photographer would by default hold the copyright to his/her photograph,
and any reproduction made of it.  You would need permission from the
photographer to use any image they took.  You could get them to sign a form
allowing the use by you (you can list all the uses you think you'll need it
for, or just say "any use by the National Mining Museum").  And of course,
credit the photographer.   If these are historical photos with no known
photographer, then you could say something like 'image courtesy of Jane
Smith' or 'collection of Jane Smith'.

If you are planning on making products for sale, it would be prudent to
make this clear and pay the owner of the photograph a share or a fee, if
they so desire (many are willing to donate their work also).

I find it of great importance to always cite the source of the photograph
used - it saves many a gray hair later on, when people come back asking
where that particular image was from and whether they could use it in their
own project...

Aino Tolme
Image Services Manager
Asian Art Museum of San Francisco