From:
Indigo Nights <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2001 22:56:40 -0700
You know, this feels a little bit like biting off our
noses to spite our faces.

It is but a courtesy that our posters list jobs here.
Clearly there has been a great demand for jobs with
tremendous regularity as each new member with paper in
hand or soon to be in hand finds his/her way to the
list.

But if you snipe at the postings for the way they're
worded in a public forum and embarrass the person who
posted them, how many museums do you think will still
be willing to post here?  You could be cutting off
your water at the well.

Further, remember that your future employers could
well be here.  Never discount how you come across in
this forum because you don't necessarily know just who
is looking AND your comments are there in the archives
in case they want to check.

Unless you were talking something like the ADEA (Age
Discrimination Employment Act), which affects the plus
40 crowd as I recall,
http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/adea.html, I'm not sure you
begin to have a case for age discrimination.

Further, you may be reading far more into what is
there, or far too little, than what the author
intended.  I agree with Adrienne that it's probably
best to look for clarification.

When I see those buzz words, I think two things.
Either they're not able to pay much and need someone
on the lower end of the employment scale, or they want
someone who is fresh and potentially more pliant.

Then again, with all the complaining that folks make
about how hard it is to break into the field, just
maybe they're trying to make an opportunity.

And, if they do want some sweet young thing and you
are not, would you REALLY want to work there?  What do
you suppose your chances of success would be, and have
you bothered to see how many employment law cases are
ruled of late in favor of the employer.

Sounds like this was just an open mouth, insert foot
exercise.  I've been guilty of this on occasion and do
try to learn.  Maybe this is just an example that I
still need to learn.

--- Katie Bolinger <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> It sure does SOUND like discrimination. I am also a
> returning student and as
> far as I am concerned, if you are in college, you
> are 'college age'!
>
> on 5/17/01 10:17 PM, Jo Young at [log in to unmask]
> wrote:
>
> > A "college age" intern? As a returning student,
> that
> > almost sounds discriminatory.

=====
Indigo Nights