From:
Collections Intern <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:17:59 -0600
Dear list members,

My name is Rebecca Elliot and I am the Collections and Exhibitions
Assistant at the Lake County Discovery Museum near Chicago. We are
developing an exhibition of woven silk postcards and larger pictures,
"That Silk Will I Go Buy'":Woven Silks from the John High Collection,
to be displayed February and March 2004. For this exhibition we are
hoping to borrow a small (perhaps two feet square) scale mode of a
jacquard loom, and I am writing to inquire whether anyone on the list
has one in their collections or knows of one that we would be able to
borrow.

I apologize for the short notice; in fact, we have already contacted
several institutions in search of a loom but have not found what we are
looking for. The only loom we have encountered that is small enough is
at the Art Institute of Chicago, but it is unavailable since it has only
recently been put back on display after being out for
conservation---understandably, the museum is loathe to part with it. We
would very much appreciate any information about other looms. Even if
there is a scale model that is not available for this exhibition, it
would be useful to know about for future reference.

The Lake County Discovery Museum is an AAM-accredited museum located in
Wauconda, Illinois. It houses the nation's largest public collection of
postcards, the Curt Teich Postcard Archives. Exhibits include Bringing
the World Home, which discusses the history of postcards, as well as the
Lake County Mall of History  and Vortex Roller Coaster Theater.  More
information about the Lake County Discovery Museum may be found at our
website, http://www.lakecountydiscoverymuseum.org.

Thank you very much for your consideration.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Elliot
Collections and Exhibitions Assistant
Lake County Discovery Museum