From:
Robert Tabak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Feb 2000 11:35:22 -0500
1) Thanks to several people who posted information about yet another "urban
legend" petition.

2)  I agree with the position that web-petitions are useless (names can be
created by generators) which is why many legitimate groups such as Amnesty
International do not use them.

3) I don't object, if someone really wants to, to announcing in a few
sentences where on the web a petition is located, even though I am not
interested --even if it seems a good cause.  ("Congress has a bill to close
all museums.  See a petition at www.panic-now.com ")

4)  I propose a list rule for Museum L  banning petitions themselves from
this list.

I particularly objected to receiving the list of hundreds of names, THREE
TIMES, including once with the response from someone who was saying that the
petition was not valid.

General web etiquette:

Too many interesting posts on Museum-L are marred by people hitting a
"reply" button that on some systems forwards the entire contents of that
Museum-L, possibly dozens of messages.  I may have done this at sometime, as
it is easy to do when responding quickly.  Please take the time to snip a
few key lines and compose a new message.  I really like Museum -L, but
receiving each message once is enough!

Thanks!

Robert Tabak
Balch Institute for Ethnic Studies