From:
Margaret Birtley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Jul 1995 04:19:38 +1000
Dear museum-l colleagues,

I am forwarding this request from the OldNorse net.  Nancy Wicker needs
address below) as I will not be able to read my mail until late Monday or
Tuesday.  Many thanks!

From: [log in to unmask]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: new finds and exhibitions?

I have been asked to write a newsletter article for American art
historians about new discoveries and current exhibitions in Scandinavia
of interest to this group. Early medieval (i.e. Iron Age from about
A.D. 400) and archaeological developments are of interest, not just
what is often considered medieval (Christian) art history in Scandinavia.

I will be passing through Denmark and Sweden in August, but that will
be too late to meet this deadline, so this is an appeal for information.

I am aware of the opening of the gold room at the Statens Historiska
Museum in Stockholm last fall, and also will be mentioning exhibtions
that have opened during the past five years or so, such as the treasure
room and the Iron Age/Viking (?) show at the Oldsakssamling in Oslo,
the "new" exhibition at Stavanger, the new Iron Age/Viking exhibition
at the Nationalmuseum in Copenhagen, and a new museum in Ribe.

I would appreciate more specific information about any of these as well
as any that I've left out in addition to information about archaeological
finds that might be of interest to art historians.

Thanks in advance so I will not clutter up the net later,
Nancy L. Wicker
Mankato State University
Art Department and Scandinavian Studies Program
Mankato, Minnesota U.S.A.

MARGARET BIRTLEY

        Phone   + 61 3 9244 7353 (BH)

        Fax     + 61 3 9244 7480