From:
Randall Hees <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Jul 2007 21:16:28 -0700
We recently had a visitor to our site claim a Segway as a support device
(she stated she had MS and had strength and endurance issues)  We are a
historic farm with a historic house.  She was allowed to bring the Segway
into the farm.  She didn't ask to visit the house, so that issue never came
up.

I would have problems with a Segway in the house.  We regularly have
wheelchairs, both empowered (the farm has three available for loan to
visitors) and powered, as well as electric scooters inside the house.  We
are a National Register house, and are generally exempt from ADA, but have a
ADA compliant ramp, and the house has a 1940 elevator, too small for most
wheel chairs.  Segways are heavy, and our floors are not as strong as I
would like.  Segways are tall, and some doors in the house are not.  The
house "path" is not wide enough for safe passage for a Segway.

We have identified historic chairs, as well as folding chairs hidden
throughout the house for visitors who cannot stand for a 45 minute tour.  We
have a policy of letting vision impaired guests touch.  We will hire a sign
interpreter for a deaf guest on request.

I think a Segway is beyond my personal flexibility, but acknowledge that we
need an outside opinion.  New technology brings with it new questions and
challenges....

Randy Hees
Patterson House at Ardenwood Farm
City of Fremont, California