From:
Jørgen Wadum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:47:20 +0100
ICOM-CC and War

The ICOM-Committee for Conservation (ICOM-CC) is an international body of
conservator-restorers that is committed to the preservation of all forms of
the world's cultural heritage including material, natural, and cultural
heritage both tangible and intangible.

ICOM-CC is highly concerned about the prospects of possible damage to our
shared cultural heritage and
loss of human life as a result of armed conflicts.

All people, wherever they may live on the face of this earth, will not
succeed and prosper without their cultural past. In our global village we
must safeguard our past in order to guarantee our future.

ICOM-CC therefore urge all political parties and international organisations
appreciative of the world's multifaceted cultural past to take all means in
their possession to spare our cultural heritage from damage or destruction.

We would recommend reading "UNESCO's Document on Protection of Cultural
Property in the Event of Armed Conflict":
http://www.unesco.org/culture/legalprotection/war/html_eng/index_en.shtml

Jørgen Wadum
Chair ICOM-CC
25-Feb-03

ICOM-CC is the largest of the international committees under the
International Council of Museums (ICOM) with members' world-wide from every
branch of the museum and conservation profession.
ICOM is a non-governmental organisation maintaining formal relations with
UNESCO and having a consultative status with the United Nations' Economic
and Social Council.