From:
Laurent Lux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 1998 10:31:24 -0400
Questionnaire about Repatriation of North American Indian Artifacts

I am currently a student in M.A. anthropology program in Laval University
(Quebec city). I am concerned about the relationship between museums and
native peoples in North America. The main objective of my project is to
piece together the history of the repatriation of native artifacts in order
to explore the relationship between museums and natives in political and
intellectual contexts.

Could you respond the following questions?

Institution:
Your name:
Your occupation:

1. In general, what role should museums play?

2. What are the main concerns and characteristics of ethnographic museums
or keepers of ethnographic collections?

3. How do you define the role of museums in relation to Native Peoples?

4. What do you think about the repatriation of cultural property?

5. Do you find that museological knowledge, research practices and
experiences about the cultures of Native Peoples are legitimate and well
adapted?

6. Do you think museums are concerned enough with Native Peoples
contemporary cultural needs with regard to their heritage?

7. Do you feel it is normal for your actions concerning the management of
Native Peoples collections to be subjected to criticism or recommendations?
Why?

8. Finally, do you think political influence on the part of Native Peoples
is closely linked to the repatriation of artifacts? Why?

You participation, patience and concern really helped my research. Please
tell your team how much I appreciated your efforts.
Sincerely,
Laurent Lux

Laurent Lux
1359 4th Avenue