From:
"Glenn A. Walsh" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2006 09:30:52 -0800
> The college is
> a 501(c)(3) entity.  All of the collections were
> given to the college.  I asked the college's legal
> council if it was his understanding that the college
> is responsible to hold the collections in the
> public's trust and for the stewardship of the
> collections.  His response was, "I'm assuming that's
> true, although those are the words of a professional
> organization and not the law.  As a part of the
> college, the museum is obligated to do what
> nonprofit charities registered under IRC 501(c)(3)
> do.  In other words, any property belonging to the
> college (such as the museum collections) are to be
> used in furtherance of our charitable, religious, or
> educational purposes."  I interpret his answer to
> say that "holding our collections in the public's
> trust" are the words of the American Association of
> Museum and not what the law says.

I am sure your college's legal counsel is correct.

Since the collections were donated to the college, the
college is only obligated, legally, to use the
collections in the futherance of the mission of the
college. They are not legally obligated to hold them
as a public trust, UNLESS, they specifically choose to
do so, either by a resolution of the Board of Trustees
or by forming a separate 501(c)(3) as you suggest.

Let me tell you about an unfortunate situation that
happened in Pittsburgh around 1980.

A gentleman died and provided, as a bequest, a large
stamp and coin collection to Pittsburgh's Carnegie
Institute. It was claimed that this stamp and coin
collection was the third largest of its type in the
world.

The intent of the deceased gentleman was that Carnegie
Institute would display this collection to the public.
The Carnegie Institute Board of Trustees had other
ideas. They decided to sell-off the collection,
piece-by-piece (sort-of like selling-off The Carnegie
Museum's famous dinosaur collection bone-by-bone!!!).

The family of the deceased gentleman was quite upset
with this decision. However, the stamp and coin
collection was now the legal property of Carnegie
Institute, to dispose as the Institute saw fit.

The Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania was
also quite upset with this decision. At that time,
they operated a small museum a few blocks away from
Carnegie Institute, in the Pittsburgh civic,
educational, and medical neighborhood of Oakland.
Today, the Historical Society operates a much larger
museum on the edge of Downtown.

The Historical Society offered to renovate the
basement of their small museum building in order to
display the stamp and coin collection to the public.
When Carnegie Institute refused to consider this
alternative, the Historical Society challenged
Carnegie Institute in court, on this matter.

In the end, there was a settlement. Carnegie Institute
agreed to maintain any stamp or coin that had some
significance to Western Pennsylvania; these were
transferred from Carnegie Museum to Cernegie Library.
However, as Carnegie Institute did have legal
ownership of the stamps and coins, they were still
free to sell-off the rest of the collection.

So, due to short-term thinking on the part of Carnegie
Institute Trustees, Pittsburgh lost the third largest
stamp and coin collection in the world!

gaw