Date:
Mon, 31 Jul 2006 14:09:55 -0400
Other corn sources I've used:

a) Purchased from a local pet store as both whole cobs and as cracked
corn. These are sold as squirrel and bird food.

b) donated by a local stable. They generously filled a covered quart-sized
plastic container for me and this lasted quite a while. I only put out a
little corn at a time and it lasted quite a while.

As for corn varieties...the kind purchased fresh is low in starch and high
in sugar. Some of these sugars will convert to starch as it dries but this
will vary depending on the variety. Some of these newer sweet corns are
bred to hold their sugar for a long time. Field corn, aka feed corn, is
high in starch and is meant to be consumed (by pigs, horses, or people)
dry and processed. You'll probably have better luck grinding this corn.
The stuff sold for squirrels and birds is field corn.

Good luck
Diane "College in Iowa taught me a lot of useless stuff" Gutenkauf