From:
Heidi Campbell-Shoaf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 14:03:27 -0400
I would recommend a couple of things. First, it is best not to have live
ammunition at all. One of the things I would do is talk to someone from the
National Park Service. If there is a military-related NPS site near you
there is most certainly a person qualified in black powder safety. They take
that very seriously and rangers receive specialized training on how to
handle guns and ammunition. You might also contact the NPS conservation
center at Harpers Ferry, WV for advice. My first thought is to have the
gunpowder removed from the casings by a qualified individual. The shells are
what is the unique thing and not the gunpowder inside.

Heidi Campbell-Shoaf
Curator
Historical Society of Frederick County
24 E. Church St.