From:
GyllenFish <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 1997 15:20:37 GMT
Hi, all,

This list has been remarkably quiet about the Field Museum's recent acquistion
 of Sue, the dinosaur.  Fortunately, for those who might be interested, much of
 what *could* have been said here has been said, instead, in the local papers
 -- in particular in the Chicago Tribune.  There wasn't much new for old-timers
 like many of us, but it has been interesting to see it all being said in
 public, for a change.  (It might also be of interest to a museum studies
 class....)

The Tribune has a Web site (http://www.chicago.tribune.com/) and an America
 Online site, as well.  If you visit either and search using "Tyrannosaurus" or
 "dinosaur" or some other related term, you can dig up about a dozen articles
 like the ones listed below.  (Be warned that the titles on the Web site
 articles are often generic -- at least look at everything you turn up!).  The
 following listings include titles, dates, and the first few paragraphs (for
 review purposes only, of course).  I put the articles in reverse chronological
 order, because the ones most interesting to the list have been published most
 recently.

I'm kind of proud of the reporters who work for our old Tribune -- I think they
 picked up on most of the major issues surrounding Sue's purchase.  However, on
 behalf of the entire City of Chicago, I apologize for all the awful puns in
 the headlines!

Eric Gyllenhaal

*****

CULTURE'S NEW DEEP POCKETS
ARE CORPORATE TIE-INS AND BLOCKBUSTER SHOWS SAVING OR DESECRATING MUSEUMS? (a
 pair of "pro" and "con" articles)