From:
Mariana Mace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 11:09:55 -0800
Here's another patron request that perhaps someone can help with.  A
visitor brought in photos of a recently inherited carved elephant
ivory tusk.  He has minimal information about it, thinks it might be
mid to late 19th century.  It is a full tusk ornately and completely
carved with what appear to be battle scenes - cavalry and infantry,
pagoda style buildings at butt end, trees and other foliage.  A
verbal description to one museum made them think it a piece of
tourist art.  The owner would like to have more information about the
piece, its origin, age, whatever.  He would also like to find a
knowledgable appraiser to evaluate it.  He has had one less than
stellar experience with one museum and the appraisers recommended
by them.

If anybody on the list has suggestions, I will pass them on to the
owner.  And I will thank you in advance, since that works best.

P.s. I have been given the name of the Peabody-Essex Museum as one
that has a collection of Asian tourist art.  Anyone know if they are
on e-mail, or who I might direct an inquiry to?

Mariana