From:
MCDevinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 1996 16:21:19 -0400
>Gotta jump in on this one. I have to agree with Robert >Baron and the
Registrars Committee of the American >Association of Museums. Accession
registers (ledgers)
>are legal documents that provide a continum of assigned >accession
numbers.
>Perhaps one does not need to record the infinite detail >that one can
include in a computerized catalogue, but >well-kept ledgers are another
line of documentation and >are protection against a number of evils,
including >employee dishonesty.

Don't fall into the trap of believing that once it is on/in the computer
it is safe!  What happens when you don't back up your computer, or store
the back up off site, and the computer gets stolen/crashes/goes on the
fritz/etc.  Having a handwritten account is important when this happens.
Don't say it can't/won't happen to me - just when you least expect it it
happens.

Chrissie Devinney