From:
Art Harris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:28:34 -0600
Intelligent Design is usually considered as a stealth creationism in
part because of the historical development of its present form and
secondarily because it seems to come down (from ID statements) that the
designer is either God or aliens (and the historical background makes
clear which is to be considered the designer; however, that can't be
said to the general public because it puts it clearly into the realm of
religion rather than science).

That, in part, though, is beside the point. The main point is that ID
hasn't been able to come up with a rational method to test the "theory".
In essence, the "evidence", such as examples of "irreducible
complexity", is entirely subjective. When such an example is shown to be
false, all the IDer needs to do is bring up another supposedly
irreducibly complex example, and so on ad infinitum. The so-called
mathematical "proofs" depend on the assumptions plugged into them, and
those assumptions are not defendible scientifically.

That "God did it" is outside the realm of science, which can treat only
the material universe of matter and energy. In philosophical theory, the
proposition that God created as per the Bible (or any of the other
origination stories) is possible; but it's not something testible by
science.

Cheers,

Art Harris

Laboratory for Environmental Biology, Centennial Museum
University of Texas at El Paso, El Paso, TX  79968-0915
[log in to unmask]   http://museum.utep.edu/
http://museum.utep.edu/chih/chihdes.htm