From:
Darlene Nickerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Oct 1999 11:41:45 -0400
I live in Canada and we have had seat belt laws for a number of years. For
more than 10 years. It is illegal for anyone to not wear a seat belt. Only
if they are on a school bus, there are no seat belts on them. I believe that
pre schools would travel by parent's vehicles. My concern with your law is
that car seats are suppose to be well secured and installed properly.
However, I do see mini vans with two to three car seats. I would think that
if you carefully look at the law there may be a spot where booster seats are
allowed for children of a certain weight. I know my son was not in a car
seat at the age of four, because he was too tall and weighted more. I felt
it safer to move him to a booster seat at the age of three to four. How are
the pre schooler's currently getting to your facility? Do they car pool, how
many cars? My suggestion would be to find this out and suggest that if they
travel by cars that the proper attachment get put in the trunk and on the
days of field trips the other parent scan leave their car seats at the
facility. They could likely get the initial installation of the clip and the
material provided for free through a donation from a parts department of a
local car dealership. Perhaps it is a bit more work but it is for the safety
of the children and they are worth every effort.

Darlene
Arts Administrator