From:
"START, Rodney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 08:44:00 EET
The Museum of Victoria has had an Image Capture program going for the past 4
years using the analogue system.  We have recently begun using digital
cameras and scanners instead of analogue for our image capture.   With the
old analogue system the images were used purely for collection management
purposes.   In these images we had the object number and a simple scale for
reference.   The image quality was of a low standard which prevented them
from being used for electronic publication work.   But now with the higher
quality that the digital images provide we are plan to use the images on the
Web, CD-Rom as well as with collection management.

We have a discussion as to whether to continue to include a scale with each
object image or not.   From a photographic point of view the image looks far
better without the scale, as well as making it easier for the operator to
capture the image.   But certain curatorial staff want to keep the scale in
the image.

I would be interested to find out how other institutions are handling their
images concerning the  inclusion of scales.

I look forward to your comments.

Rodney Start