From:
Jack Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 1994 23:41:17 -0800
Jeff,
I've been away for a few days and apologize if this posting is redundant.

As you have learned, gummed lined tape is not good; the same holds true
for *archival* pressure sensitive tapes.

Cooked wheat starch paste and water-cut handmade Japanese paper hinges
are about as good as it gets.

I can give you the recipe for cooking the paste.  I can describe the
manner in which paper is cut with water.

However, unless you are able to be at a place where this is actually
done, and are able to observe the process, you will only know the method,
without understanding the process.

This is the difference between information and knowledge.

Your are welcome at the lab.  Call to make an appointment.

No charge.

Jack C. Thompson
Thompson Conservation Lab
Portland, OR