From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jul 2001 13:37:42 -0400
You may find that the best examples of gift acknowledgement letters
including personalization would be in the development office of your nearest
college or university.

I've never found a "textbook" version of a simple, sincere, and informative
acknowledgement letter.  Ours refer to our current special exhibit and a
tidbit of other "news" about the museum that changes from month to month.
There is also a paragraph noting that this letter serves as your receipt for
tax purposes.  In our region, letters tend to be a bit folksy (maybe not in
yours) and for our larger gifts, as director I write a two-page letter that
tends to be very personal, asking after a family member or whatever I know
about the donor, etc.  For middling gifts, I usually handwrite a personal
note at the bottom of the standard letter.

This is the practice in most successful college development programs.  The
president of the college or university signs the letter to the heavy
hitters.  The VP for development for the middling ones, and so on down the
line.  Always a letter, however, not just a printed receipt or card.

Ross Weeks Jr.
Tazewell VA

>I'm very new to the world of Development in a museum setting, and just
today located this list service.  I'm not sure if this is an appropriate

request in this forum, but here goes.

Part of my position is involved with acknowledging the gifts that are
bestowed on our museum.  Unlike my last position where most of the
acknowledgments were formalized "cards", the method here is far more
towards customization and personalization of letters.  Until such time
as I can locate a book or other material with suggestions for text, I'm
hoping that some folks on this service are willing to share some samples

from their site.  I would be most grateful for any and all suggestions,
as well as recommendations for literature on typical acknowledgment
text.

Many thanks!

Amy