From:
"Blair H. White" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 09:18:40 -0400
In his speech to the delegates of this year's AAM Conference, Mayor Martin O'Malley spoke of the economic impact of the arts in Baltimore.  He stated Money Magazine rated Baltimore number one in the Arts and Culture Index.  Some of his statistics were:

"More than 300,000 children visit Baltimore’s arts and cultural institutions each year; more than $24 million is generated yearly in state and local taxes through spending by arts organizations and audiences; and almost 20,000 jobs have been created in Baltimore by the arts industry.

Arts and cultural organizations produce much more in income tax, sales tax and other taxes for our city and state governments than they receive in direct appropriations.

According to the Maryland State Arts Council, every $1 donated to arts and culture organizations generates another $12 in total economic impact statewide.  For every $1 of public money spent on arts and culture, $10 of private money is raised. "

Blair H. White
Carroll Reece Museum