From:
Diane Gutenkauf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jan 1997 00:10:54 EST

>>I was not aware that training in exhibit design now includes training in the
>>conservation of metals. Just what are the effects of "standard
>>disinfectants" on saw blades, anyway? How can we be certain that the
>>accretion on the saw is blood? Was it tested?
>
>>Gutenkauf

Jack Thompson responded

>"Ick" is not an appropritate response.  If that seems hard, tough; move on
>to another speciality.

>Tools which demonstrate use are more important than tools which come out of
>the bin in a hardware store.

>The effect of "standard disinfectants" is to remove all traces of use and
>that is not good; if there is a question about whether or not an accretion
>is dried blood, there are tests for that which are very positive.  OJ
>notwithstanding.

Absolutely, and clearly I knew all that, but the point I very badly made is that
we must ask questions, lots of questions, of our objects and ourselves, before
we "treat" any object.

How can we complain that we're not treated as professionals if we fail to act
responsibly with regard to our objects? Responsible treatment of objects
includes understanding that evidence of wear and use provide important clues to
the questions "Who used this and Why?"  Responsible treatment also includes
asking the proper questions of the proper people and it does not include well
meaning, offhand, suggestions from mars. I am pleased that the original poster
of the blood on the medical instrument question saught advice before she treated
the object. I am a bit concerned that she (a conservation professional) wanted
to remove an accretion that she seemed to assume was blood. I asked myself
several basic questions: How did she know the stuff was blood; why did she want
it removed; was she afraid of the material; was the material causing harm to the
artifact; how can the material be documented before it is destroyed?

How can we understand appropriate methods of interpreting objects if we fail to
understand the objects in the first place?

Gutenkauf

Diane Gutenkauf, Curator
Elmhurst Historical Museum
120 E. Park Avenue
Elmhurst, IL 60126 USA

Voice: +(630) 833-1457
  Fax: +(630) 833-1326
Email: [log in to unmask] (Internet)
       74547,377                (CompuServe)

My opinions (strong as they are) are my own and do not reflect those of any
institution with which I am affiliated