From:
"Kathleen Hutton ( EDU2 )" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:33:34 -0500
        Although we try to offer inclusive programs at our museum every month of the year, we still look to celebrate African-American artists, musicians and authors during the month of February!  This year we will have a lecture by George Walker, the first African-American composer to win a Pulitzer; an art video on the artist Horace Pippin, and we began today with a wonderful event that any institution, large or small, could host:  the 13th National African American Read-In Chain. First sponsored by the Black Caucus of the National Council of Teachers of English in 1990, endorsed by the entire NCTE in 1991, the Read-In's purpose is to make the celebration of African American literacy a traditional part of Black History Month activities.  They estimate that over a million readers have participated!
        My museum has been hosting a Read-In for the last five years.  It's a very flexible program, requiring only that books selected be authored by African Americans, that the event(s) be held on the designated days (first Sunday and Monday of February) and that you submit the attendance figures and selection information to the NCTE Read-In Coordinator, who can then track national/global participation.

To receive an African American Read-In Chain packet, go to http://www.people.memphis.edu/~jcscott, but you can contact me for more information if you like:

Kathleen Hutton, Coordinator of Education/Program
Reynolda House, Museum of American Art
Winston-Salem, NC 27116-1765    tel. 336.725.5325