From:
"Elizabeth A. Moore" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:05:38 -0400
Dear Mr. Thompson,

Thank you for your message.  Unfortunately, I have received no responses to
my request.  I understand your argument, but I would like to see if there is
a difference in attitudes when the service/product is offered by the public
sector rather than the private sector.  I hear comments like "my tax dollars
already paid for this museum, why should I have to pay to get in" (for
publically-supported places) as well as "visitors won't value us if they
don't have to pay".  In the case of public museums, attendees aren't getting
a "free lunch," they're just paying for it in a different way.  Does this
affect consumer  perception?  Does it even enter into the equation of their
perception, i.e., do visitors even remember most of the time that their
taxes support public museums?  The Smithsonian is free and the public
certainly values it very highly.  Is the Smithsonian an exception because of
their size, history, reputation, and quality of product?  If so, what makes
it the exception and how can other museums become so highly valued by their
own markets?

I have no idea what the correct answers are to these questions.  I have
anecdotal evidence for both sides of the discussion, but have run across no
data yet.  Our museum is located far enough away from any research library
(at least 3 hours) that I can't do the research myself without an overnight
trip.  That's why I was hoping someone on the list could help.  Certainly,
<someone> must have done some research or a market study of some kind before
making the critical decision of adding/changing/eliminating admission fees.

If I get any responses, I'll be happy to forward them to you.

Elizabeth Moore