From:
Eric Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Jun 2005 09:39:44 -0400
----- Original Message -----
From: "Stephen Nowlin" <[log in to unmask]>

> What banner?  On the subject of cosmic and human origins, science does not
> lead to god.  Other disciplines of thought lead to god, but not science.
> The banner belongs to those disciplines, not to science.

Stephen, I don't mean to imply that "Science" be some sort of seal of
approval--indeed it can't be, for the reason you state, that it is a process
and not an monolithic entity unto itself.  I apologize if I was unclear on
that.

But at the same time, I'm amazed to read what you wrote here--that "science
does not lead to god."  Isn't that exactly the same kind of a priori
"argument from conclusion" that you accuse the IDers of making?  How can you
be so sure science can't or won't lead to god, if not now than in the future
as tools are developed?  Indeed, I just want to hear both sides being open
to the possibility that the questions raised--no matter who is raising
them--might be valid, and that the process will lead where the process
leads.  If there are patterns in nature that lead some to think that there
is an intelligent designer, then why not explore those patterns and explain
why those claimants are right or wrong?  That's all I'd ask, as an
interested layman and as an advocate of science.

Scientists have generated areas of inquiry from myriad sources--art, the
musings of philosophers, the dictates of religion, earlier science.  Once
scientists take over the question, they pursue a particular process--as
indeed they should, since it is the very definition of their disclipine.
But why ignore proponents of ID as particularly unworthy of asking questions
that science might in fact have some answers to--if not now, then later?
That's an intellectual blind spot that I don't understand.  I suspect it has
to do with not wanting to come across as "validating" ID--but that
reluctance would be a shame, to me, because it would be choking off a
fascinating vein of inquiry.

I'll go back to the question I posed above--is there room for a serious
scientific study of the possibility of intelligent design in nature?  What
if it should turn out to be the aliens that Art referred to in another
message, and not God at all?

Peace,

--Eric

Eric D. M. Johnson
Proprietor
The Village Factsmith Historical Research & Consulting
http://www.factsmith.com/