From:
Jennifer Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 1999 12:28:48 -0400
The removal of Lee from the mural is symptomatic of trends in the
historical community. It continues a dangerous trend with deleting the
"conqueror" history in favor of another history. While historical
scholarship has brought to light all the histories of the many peoples of
this country, we should now use those histories to understand how we have
all contributed to its foundation - whether free, slave, triumphant or
defeated. It is all history! We know more about the contributions of all
members of society and should seek to integrate into our history classes,
exhibits, and reading lists, but not use it as a political tool.

We cannot change that history and we should not apply our current mindset
and standard to those long gone of the past who could not even comprehend
what we have today. It is unfair to judge their actions, their thoughts,
their decisions by our understanding of today. History has become so
politicized that one cannot celebrate their heritage nor history without
wondering if it is "correct" or not.
Jennifer L. Williams
Independent Museum-type Person (IMP)
Boone, NC
NCNM - Class of 1999
Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, Ohio

         "We're Starfleet officers. Weird is part of the job."
                                -Capt. Janeway

Museum-L" (without the quotes).