From:
G eorgen Gilliam <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 09:36:38 +0000
Okay, I think the original poster of criticism of this job
announcement has been flamed enough.

The truth is, whether we like it or not, value IS determined in our
society by money. Yes, we all make adjustments, balancing other things
we value against salary, but it the final determination, your paycheck
still pays your bills - if it's big enough.

I happen to be one of those people who's taken a low-paying, part-time
job in a historical society because I thought it would be better to
work in my field than at McDonald's. And I CAN'T TELL YOU HOW
DEMORALIZING IT IS TO BE PAID SO LITTLE FOR MY WORK. The director and
the Board members all gush about my work constantly - and to me it's
just rubbing it in that they pay me less than a gas station attendant.

I'm starting to wonder if I _really_ cared about the field, if I
really had dedication to it, would I be working for so little? AREN'T
WE JUST COOPERATING IN THE DEVALUATION OF OUR FIELD BY ACCEPTING SO
LITTLE IN MONETARY REWARDS?

If the job were billed as an internship, I could see it; but in the
final analysis, I too would not consider moving to take this job.

Georgen Gilliam