From:
Adrienne DeAngelis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 11:09:49 -0700
Hello--
        I seem to remember that Louisa May Alcott's "Little Men" has a
young female character who is converted from her tightly-laced corset by
the Professor to wearing dresses which allow for a natural waist.
        There is also a story in my family about my great-grandmother,
who, at sixteen, was allowed to go to her first grown-up dance. She laced
up her corset as tight as possible in order to look fashionable. As she
was coming down the stairs to go out she fell and although she was only
bumped and bruised, she was not allowed to go to the dance.

        Adrienne DeAngelis