From:
Tim Atherton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 2003 09:34:15 -0600
> Oh dear.  Does anybody take Robert Fisk seriously?  His name has
> given rise
> to a verb.  To fisk: to refute an erroneous argument with a point-by-point
> refutation.  It was coined when the bloggers noticed the nonsense he was
> posting from Afghanistan, and has now blossomed into a cottage inudstry.

Hi Eugene,

I'm surprised that you seem to regard the opinion of bloggers so highly.
Robert Fisk is widely regarded in Europe (and I dare say much of the US) as
one of the most experienced, honest and widely respected reporters on Middle
East events (someone BTW who has actually interviewed fist hand Saddam
Hussein, Osama bin Laden and many other major players of the region, on all
sides).

That his reporting style is sometimes a little to pointed for N. American
markets isn't surprising.

Also, that his blunt and powerful reporting from the massacres in the Sabra
and Chatila camps is still held against him many years later is also not
surprising (the accuracy of his reporting there was ultimately vindicated
and, in recent years, shown in many ways to be over cautious)

tim