From:
"G. Brunschwyler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Nov 2001 11:19:14 -0500
Have you tried Jefferson Patterson Park, who have a fabrication shop
as part of the Maryland Historical Trust(I'm not sure if that's the
correct title)located in Calvert County, MD?
Other design firms in the area Staples and Charles, in DC, Quatrefoil
in Laurel.  You might want to contact N.A.M.E. (National Assoc
for Museum Exhibitions) they represent the exhibit design field
for museums.  You can reach them by getting in touch with their
president, Kristine Hastreiter, [log in to unmask]
Good luck.
Museum discussion list <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> Good Afternoon,
I am the Curator at a small museum in Baltimore that is quickly expanding.
We are building a new building that will have 6,000 Square feet of exhibit
space that will be devoted to the War of 1812. I'm in the process of
looking for an established exhibit designer. Our staff is very small and we
need an outside firm to help us with the exhibits.

First, can anyone suggest some names or companies located in the Mid-
Atlantic region? I have a few, but I'm always looking for more.

Second, can anyone tell me if having drawings done for the intial concept
designs is an expensive endeavor? We need drawings for a grant to actually
install the exhibits that is due in a few months, and I'm trying to figure
out how to rearrange the budget to do initial designs.

Third, is it common for exhibit designers to do the historical research for
the exhibits, or is it more common for the museum staff to do it? We have a
staff of only 5 museum professionals and I am the only Curator. I will need
to get interns to help if we do the research, and I will need them next
semester.

I would appreciate any suggestions I can get. You can contact me off-list
if you would prefer at [log in to unmask]

Thanks,

Cindy Olsen
Curator and Grants Manager
Star-Spangled Banner Flag House and War of 1812 Museum