From:
Steve Pike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Sep 2003 13:37:34 -0500
Wesley
Thanks. I vaguely remember that first grant, and I am glad to hear of the other. they sold the local hospital about 2 years ago for $110MM which was used to set up a community foundation ( a la Assisi Fdn.). They took a very deliberate approach to coming up with guidelines for the foundation. I'm glad to hear that apparently they did not limit it strictly to healthcare, which was a concern when I was leaving.
Steve

Steve Pike
Director of Museums
City of Memphis
Pink Place Museum
3050 Central Avenue
Memphis, TN 38111-3399
(Phone) 901-320-6371
Assistant: 901-320-6398
(Cell)  901-601-7628; 901-601-7725
(Fax) 901-320-6391

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/02/03 10:24AM >>>
We wrote two grant proposals ourselves to get funding to bring teachers
and their classes to the museum.  The first was a small grant (3k) from
the Rotary Club to cover expenses for class trips - bus fees, admission
fees, substitute teacher salaries, program materials, etc.  Teachers
apply to the museum for the funds to cover their expenses so they can
bring their classes to the museum for a range of programs that the
teacher selects to address their class's problem content areas.

This was very successful.  So successful that we used the results to
write a proposal for even more funding (38k) that was awarded last week
(yippee) from a community foundation to expand the program.  The new
grant will cover the expenses for the teachers and their class as well
as additional educator staff at the museum to develop additional
programs, implement the new programs with the classes, and serve as ed
support during their visit.  The smaller first grant generated enough
increase in activity that our ed staff was quickly at capacity with
class visits.

If you would like more information about this program or the grant
proposal contact Christy Deatherage, Education Coordinator, at

Elizabeth Moore
Virginia Museum of Natural History