From:
Jay Heuman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2002 13:01:35 -0500
Hi Candace,

> Jay, I see your point(s). I don't have the reference
> readily available, but in my scant research on the
> footbinding practice (because of the missionary
> work), I understand that the pain was lifelong -- now
> I don't know if that was true for all or just for some.
> I'm sure it was akin to arthritis.

Not to sound cruel, but: So what if it was the cause of
lifelong pain?  There are many cultural practices in
cultures around that world that cause pain (scarification,
tattoos, etc.)

My point remains: Who are we to judge whether these cultural
practices - painful or not - are "acceptable"?

> Are there any Chinese cultural experts out there
> who might weigh in? One question, though; I knew
> you'd come back with your comment on the demands
> of society on 19th century women, and I do agree,
> however, isn't it a little different from being 2 (or
> whatever age it was) and having your feet bound?

No, not really.

All the parents on Museum-L, raise your hands if you ever
had your newborn sons circumcised.  Surely, there are those
opposed to male circumcision.  But it is standard practice
in the US nowadays . . . and has been around far longer than
foot binding in China.  It is of theological origin (often
supported by medical professionals) which, I daresay, is far
more influential than a social/economic custom such as
Chinese foot binding.  If you had your son circumcised (for
theological or medical reasons), how would you feel if
someone condemned you?

Now, you will say this does not cause lifelong pain . . .
but who can really know?  There are two sides to the tale -
from those men who are or are not circumcised.  Few men can
give informed opinions about both states.  (Those men who
know both perspectives are more likely to condemn
circumcision, as they had to have the procedure due to
medical problems in adulthood . . . and it is, to be sure,
far more painful in adulthood than when an infant of only a
few days or weeks old.)

I apologize for the tangential (contextual) topic . . . but
to return to the point at hand:

Children are considered to be property in most cultures.
Parents do what parents think is best for their children.
If parents in China believed that binding their daughters'
feet would result in the best possible marriage, who can
blame them?  They were thinking ahead on their daughters'
behalf . . . which is usually admired, right?

But, to return to my point, is it fair for an American in
the year 2002 to make a judgment about the Chinese practice
of foot binding which ended only 90 years ago . . . but
began over 1,000 years ago?  No a la 'cultural relativism'.

Sincerely,

Jay Heuman, Visitor & Volunteer Services Coordinator
Joslyn Art Museum, 2200 Dodge Street, Omaha, NE, 68102
342-3300 (telephone)     342-2376 (fax)     www.joslyn.org

Copyright retained.
My opinions - no one else's.
If you have a problem with what I wrote, take it up with me
personally.
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!