From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 1996 17:43:32 -0500
I agree entirely with Henry Crawford's recommendations.

Our collections consist of 17th century to early 19th century muskets,
fowlers, rifles, pistols, blunderbusses, and a wall rifle or two.  We apply
labels to metal components and the usual spot is on the inside of the
triggerguard bow.  We apply the number using a base coat of 15% acryloid B-72
in toluene, then the number is applied with Gouache, and we top-coat with 15%
acryloid B-67 in naptha (this allows you to remove the top-coat & number and
leave the base coat intact). As with any substances which contains  solvents
take all safety precautions seriously!  (ie., adequate ventilation; no
sources of ignition; disposable gloves; use the smallest possible volumes;
ask for, read, and understand the MSDS sheets)

I would avoid stamping accession numbers into metal parts (a common practice
in the not-too distant past) and I would avoid using sticky paper labels  (I
have spent numerous hours cleaning off the tarnish and corrosion products
from these things).

I believe that labeling has come up on the Museum-L list a number of times in
the past year and I remember that someone posted information on a new
high-tech system which could be tracked via a hand-held device.  A system
such as this might be adaptable and work quite nicely for an extensive
firearms collection, particularly if security were of some concern. I know
that I would be interested in hearing about these new systems from those who
have had experience with them - perhaps someone could post the pertinent
information to the List.

Dave

David Harvey
Conservator of Metals & Arms