From:
David Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 12:39:43 -0500
Hi Everyone,

I am reposting this announcement  from the ludlow massacre group from yahoo.

The interview is from Colorado Public Radio and concerns the conservtion of the recently vandalized ludlow massacre monument in Trinidad, Colorado.

It is one of the better views into how a conservator approaches a comlex problem and all the issues that go into doing a sensitive and ethical treatment of a significant historial monument.

To be perfectly open about all of this, I was contacted by Senator Ben Knight-Horse Campbell's office who had been in touch with the UMWA (United Mine Workers of America) about restoring the monument  and I referred them to Griswold Conservation Associates on account of their long experience and expertise in stone monument and sculpture conservation. I also referred them to the AIC (American Institute for Conservation) online Guide for Consevation Services as well.

For those with some interest in the history of Ludlow and the early American labor movement an excellent book is: "The Colorado Coalfield Mining Wars" which was co-authored by none other than Senator George McGovern, who had researched the history of this topic for his Phd disseration in American History.

Cheers!
Dave
AUDIO

In May 2003, vandals damaged the Ludlow Massacre Memorial near Trinidad, erected in 1918 to commemorate striking miners and their families who were killed by National Guard militia. John Griswold, a California conservator, talks about taking on the task of restoring the monument.

Ludlow Massacre Statue Restoration

http://www.cpr.org/cgi-bin/comatters/comatters_play.asx?play=1382&type=comatters.asx

(Windows Media Player or equivalent required)