From:
Bob Martino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 13:24:45 -0500
[snip]

>Perhaps its just a grumpy Friday afternoon, but no one is forced to
>volunteer and no one is forced to work in the museum profession.  Most of us
>do it because it adds value to our lives and makes a contribution to the
>community.

And maybe it's just a grumpy Wednesday, but I would like to point out that
this position is just the fallacy of the excluded middle.  It's like the
old saying, "America - Love it or Leave it!"  Sure, I love America, but it
has its warts too.

To say that your only two options are to either completely accept
everything as it is now or to simply get out of the field altogether is
doing a tremendous disservice to a lot of professional, talented, dedicated
people.  Yes, I love my profession.  I wouldn't be a lawyer for all the
money under Bill Gates' mattress.  But I have a family to consider, and it
remains to be seen whether or not I can continue in this profession and
also meet my obligations to them.  It all makes me rather sad.

Bob Martino                           "I look up to the heavens
Assistant Director                     but night has clouded over
Perkins Observatory                    no spark of constellation
                                       no Vela no Orion."
http://www.perkins-observatory.org                     -Enya

Museum-L" (without the quotes).