From:
Danielle Plumer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Jan 2007 12:22:00 -0600
This type of project is very big right now! There's a group of folks involved with collaborative projects at the state level who have been meeting at the American Library Association conference regularly, and we're trying to figure out how to get some presence at AAM, AASLH, and SAA as well.

In Minnesota, you should definitely look at the Minnesota Digital Library Coalition (http://www.mndigital.org/). Even if you're not digitizing your collections, they can probably point you in the direction of how to create the database. There's also a project at the U of M: http://digital.lib.umn.edu/

The closest analogy I can think of to the type of database you're describing are the "online archives" projects. I don't know off-hand of one in Minnesota, but Texas, Arizona, California, and many other states have them. You can see what Texas has done at www.lib.utexas.edu/taro/. The Minnesota State Archives has a page at http://www.mnhs.org/preserve/records/workshops/edarchivists.html that discusses the training needed for this type of digital project.

Good luck!

Danielle Cunniff Plumer, Coordinator
Texas Heritage Digitization Initiative
Texas State Library and Archives Commission
512.463.5852 (phone) / 512.936.2306 (fax)