From:
Leslie Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Jan 1997 10:39:12 -0800
One of my favorite small museums in Memphis is the Ornamental Metal
Museum, which is just southwest of downtown. It's small, but has an
excellent permanent collection, good temporary exhibits, and a working
foundry!

I would also strongly suggest visiting the Dixon Gallery, a small museum
devoted primarilly to 18th and 19th century European decorative arts.
It's adjacent to the Arboretum east of downtown, which is also lovely
during spring and summer.

The Zoo is also worth a visit, if you have the time.

Check out the pyramid and statue of Ramses downtown at the convention
center/backetball stadium.  During spring/summer the Wonders series
mounts large exhibitions there.  The Napolean and Catherine the Great
shows there were excellent!

As to food, try to make it to Corky's for barbecue!  It's a casual,
clean, family place that's starting to franchise.  I miss their dry rub
ribs _so_ _much_!  I like it better than the funky, noisy place downtown
(near the Peabody Hotel) that everyone else likes so much but that I
cannot remember the name of right now.  There's also a really small,
homey place for plate lunches in that same neighborhood that I've never
made it to that's supposed to be the epitome of that genre of food.

Leslie Johnston
Stanford University Museum of Art