From:
Amy Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2001 17:43:15 -0400
In my humble and total newcomer opinion:

1. Targeting viable fund sources.  There are so many  non-musuem
institutions competing for the same dollars, and apparently only so
much money to go around.

2.  Developing programs that take maximum advantage of our rapidly
progressing technology, without overwhelming or ignoring the
importance of pre-technology history.

3.  Sharing more ideas across museum-typed boundaries; there must be
some common ground between a fine arts, natural history, science, or
the many other types of museums.

4.  Making a much stronger effort to provide sufficient
compensations that enable  folks with disabilities of any and all
ranges to better participate in any and all museum environments.

5.  Finding and supporting areas of our societies that have not
already had their contributions brought to the attention of the
public through a museum environment.

6.  Encouraging much more dynamic participation on the part of whole
communities and not just focusing on individuals or family groups.

7.  Consider the possibility of a museum community that could,
through the use of our advanced technologies, set up conferences and
seminars and everything else related to the teaching aspect of a
museum to be able to have participants at such events from both
nationwide and/or worldwide sites.

8.  Find ways to allow more hands-on, on-site participation by every
range of schoolteacher and class within the musuem environment - and
not excluding fine arts museums from this concept.

9.  Perhaps keeping government politics as separate as possible from
the museum environment, with the obvious exception being if the
museum is based on politics as the focus of exhibits and/or themes.

And finally, on a lighter note:

10.  Find someone who can figure out why parking at just about every
museum is fraught with some level of difficulty - usually with
regard to space and expense - and reward this person substantially
if he or she can come up with a solution we all can use!