From:
"Mary L. Kirby" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:08:48 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Indigo Nights"

Security guards looked like they
> were going to panic when I would take her and her
> 18-months older brother.  Oh, my God, kids.  Their
> concern soon turned to smiles when they saw these kids
> could take Grandma's admonition and stick their hands
> in their pockets--or else.

When the Dallas Museum install its first Mark di Suvero sculpture outside
its old location in Fair Park in the 1970s, children loved to climb on board
and try to climb it. At first the museum officials frowned on the practice.
But di Suvero told him that he wanted the children to enjoy the climb and he
did not think they could hurt the structural steel.

At the University of North Texas, I once went to the dean's office to see a
sculpture and sat waiting for about 5 minutes before I realized the old man
reading a newspaper next to me was the sculpture.

Those experiences involve great fun and will bring a visitor back.

The Raymond and Peggy Nasher Sculpture Garden web site show three Mark di
Suvero sculptures. The description refers to the steel work of David Smith
and then reverences two other modern sculptures for comparisons. Great if
you are a former art student, but definitely an insiders description.

At the DMA when I tried to do a search to find if they still have the red
I-beams I remembered from Fair Park, I was told I had to have a docents
password to do a word search on the collection.

Now, does that invite the un-initiated to learn how to enjoy art.

Mary Kirby