From:
Jennifer Quinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Feb 2000 11:19:32 -0500
I am becoming involved, for the first time, in the membership program at a museum and am looking for some benchmarking information and some ideas, specifically as membership relates to a museum with NO ADMISSION FEE. I would appreciate any help you can give me.

I have a few specific questions, and would also welcome any ideas you may have on the topic in general.

In terms of goals for membership, I wonder whether membership should be seen primarily as a revenue-generator, or primarily as a means to get people more involved in the institution than they would be just as visitors?

As for targets, I have seen some studies showing the approximate number of members an institution should expect to be able to achieve as a proportion of the number of visitors it has. Certainly, the percentage would be different (lower) for institutions without an admission fee since admission is a big incentive for membership. I have not seen any studies showing how to adjust targets for free museums. If anyone has any information on that (from studies or from your own experience), I'd be grateful if you would share it.

I'd also be interested to hear any ideas you may have for drumming up new members to a free museum (and which ones you've tried that work and which don't). Premiums (mugs, posters, tote bags) for new members? Direct mail campaigns to find and sign-up new members? Discounts on shop purchases and programs? Special members-only events?

Finally, how do you keep members happy? Separate phone line for them to call in to with questions and to make program reservations? Sending them periodic letters just to keep in touch and update them on museum activities?

Thank you for any suggestions and information you can share with me.
- Jennifer Quinn
Director of Marketing
New York State Museum