From:
Ross Weeks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 11:53:53 -0400
    A wise man once told me that a person always surrenders "some" privacy
in taking employment -- and the question is, "how much" privacy is one
willing to surrender to have a paid position.  If an employer decides for
zero tolerance regarding use of illegal substances, the employer also must
decide to enforce the policy.  I happen to agree that educational
institutions, i.e., museums, "should" make that kind of statement,
reinforcing the "just say no" campaign in our schools.

    Because of the nature of this particular museum and our location in the
Appalachians, we cannot ban firearms from the parking lot or even prevent
visitors from carrying legal but concealed weapons.   We have thousands of
school children visiting this time of year.  They come largely from homes
that encourage possession of weapons that kill.  Has anyone had any
experience with creating a weapons-free museum environment?
Ross Weeks Jr.
http://histcrab.netscope.net