From:
Stephen Nowlin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 09:15:29 -0800
On 1/31/05 8:35 AM, Elizabeth S. Pries's electrons arrived as:

> The point I'm trying to make is that there are different explanations as to
> how the world began.  Whether we're arguing it's right wing hate machines
> advocating Intelligent Design or left wing hate machines advocating Evolution,
> these still just stories trying to explain the same thing.  It is at best a
> philosophical argument and at worst a political argument.  No matter what, it
> is a debate that doesn't belong in our schools or our museums.  And yes, I
> agree that both sides have the freedom of speech.  Unfornately, that doesn't
> mean people are required to listen.

I appreciate your view, Elizabeth, and certainly the tolerance it implies is
important to a civilized coexistence of sometimes widely differing
viewpoints.

But, Evolution is not a creation story -- it is science.  It should not be
reduced to equality with cultural myths or religious stories in order to
maintain a social democracy of ideas.  It stands apart as history's only
reasoned account for how we humans came to exist, and those attempts by the
religious fundamentalist community to elevate Creationism or Intelligent
Design to theoretical-partner status with Evolution are part of a much wider
agenda.  If not science organizations, science and natural history museums,
and people of reason both left and right wing, who will stand in opposition
to that agenda?

_____________________________________
S t e p h e n    N o w l i n

http://stephennowlin.v3.net